Recognition, Approval, and Accreditation
Annual Reports, Performance Facts

Adizes Graduate School is approved by The Bureau for Private, Postsecondary Education for the State of California (BPPE)


In the United States, Federal regulations require State approval of schools and colleges, but further accreditation is voluntary. Obtaining accreditation from an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education is an expensive and time consuming process that is now mandated by the State of California. Until the Adizes Graduate School and its programs are accredited, there are known limitations of the degree programs:
a) Graduates may not be eligible to sit for any applicable licensing exam in California or in other States. The Adizes Graduate School does not prepare students for licensing or exams at the State
level in any State.
b) A degree program that is unaccredited or a degree from an unaccredited institution is not recognized for some employment positions, including, but not limited to, positions with the State of
c) A student enrolled in an unaccredited institution is not eligible for Federal financial aid programs.
d) Students are directed to review the Notice of Credit Transferability in the Catalog and in the Enrollment Agreement, shown below:

The transferability of credits you earn at Adizes Graduate School is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the credits, degree, diploma, or certificate you earn in Adizes Graduate School is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits or degree, diploma, or certificate that you earn at this institution are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all of your coursework at that institution. For this reason you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending Adizes Graduate School to determine if your credits or degree, diploma or certificate will transfer.

This applies to all courses and all programs at Adizes Graduate School. AGS has no articulation or transfer credit agreements with any other colleges or universities.

What agencies regulate and approve Adizes Graduate School?

The United States government requires that all schools are approved by the governing body of the State in which they are located. This is the only mandatory level of recognition in the United States.  The United States government, unlike many other countries, does not directly approve or accredit higher education programs and schools. The government allows certain agencies to perform accreditation functions. Accreditation is entirely voluntary and schools are not required to participate in these expensive evaluations.

Adizes Graduate School is approved by:

The Bureau for Private, Postsecondary Education for the State of California (BPPE). Approval means to operate in compliance with State standards as set forth in the Education Code. The Bureau approves schools to operate and to offer educational programs under the Department of Consumer Affairs. The approval process is designed to assure that institutions meet certain academic standards and deliver the quality of education promised in their promotional materials.

If a school is approved or accredited, are all of its programs approved or accredited, too?

Approved: each program must be approved on an individual basis by the State in California

Accredited: Regional agencies often accredit entire schools rather than programs. Thus, new programs may not be reviewed until years after they are initially offered. The State of California requires approval of each new degree or certificate BEFORE the program may be offered for credit.

What employers recognize the value of Adizes programs?

The U.S. military has provided tuition assistance for personnel to attend seminars and online classes, as well as to participate in our degree programs. In the corporate world, our students have received tuition support and flexible work arrangements from employers both within the USA and abroad in diverse fields such as health care, banking, air traffic control, theological organizations, and industrial mining.


Annual Report 2016

Annual Report 2015

Annual Report 2014

Annual Report 2013

Performance Facts 2015-16

Performance Facts 2014-15

Performance Facts 2013-14

Performance Facts 2012-13

Archive of past Catalogs:

2012 Catalog     2013 Catalog    2014 Catalog     2015 Catalog

2016 Catalog     2017 Catalog     2018 Catalog


Where can I find out more?

Dr. John Bear has been recognized as “a leading authority.” by the the United States Network for Education Information (website)

From Dr. Bears’ website:

Can anyone benefit from an unaccredited degree? “The unaccredited option may work for people who really don’t need a degree, but rather want one, either for self satisfaction (“validating my life’s work” is a phrase we hear often), or to give themselves a marketing edge.”

One large subset of satisfied unaccredited degree-users, for instance, are therapists, who typically need only a Master’s degree for their state license. But they feel that if they have a PhD, and use that title in their advertising, they will have an edge over competitors without the doctorate. The same is the case with owners or executives of small businesses. A real estate agent with an MBA or a business planner with a doctorate in finance, may get more clients because of the higher degree, and indeed may have additional useful knowledge.

Does the level of the degree make a difference?  We think it does.…. a person with at least one accredited [undergraduate] degree, as the foundation, is seen to be someone clearly capable of doing university level work, and if they chose to pursue an unaccredited Master’s or Doctorate, after earning the accredited Bachelor’s, they must have had a good reason. . .”

What are the options for program recognition in the United States?

1. The first level of recognition is mandatory State approval for all colleges and their programs.  Schools must conform to the laws of the state in which they are physically located. Some states, like California, emulate accrediting agencies in the scope and detail of their regulations. However, few state agencies are recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. In the State of California, this means that the Department of Consumer Affairs has overall responsibility for the quality of school operations and program delivery. The BPPE approves applications for operation, sets standards and monitors ongoing criteria for continued operation. It establishes standards of competency for more than 200 professions/occupations and administers the regulatory functions of licensing, examination and enforcement for those professions. The New Education Reform Act contains the most recent up-to-date standards for the State of California with a focus on student protection. Schools approved under this Act are subject to both documentary and on-site reviews regularly and at the discretion of the State.

2. The second level of recognition is a voluntary process.  The Federal government recognizes a number of agencies as having the authority to “accredit” a school in order that the students at the school may participate in federal financial-aid programs. (see financial aid).  AGS is not affiliated with any of these agencies and does not plan to be.

In order to be accredited by the DETC (Distance Education and Training Council), for example, a school must have been continuously operating for two years and meet rigorous criteria. However, the DETC does not accredit schools that offer Ph.D. Degrees, so AGS will not apply. There are also federally recognized agencies in various disciplines.  Each of these agencies has requirements for ‘accreditation’ in their field of expertise – such as psychology, law and medicine.  In addition, there are the large regional commissions, most familiar to all as ‘accreditors’. Schools in California can voluntarily seek accreditation by WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), the regional agency, in addition to or instead of the DETC or another specialized agency. The WASC website states:

Voluntary, non-governmental, institutional accreditation as practiced by the WASC and other regional commissions is a unique characteristic of American education. In many other countries the maintenance of educational standards is a governmental function. No institution in the United States is required to seek accreditation, however, because of the recognized benefits, most of the eligible institutions in this and other regions have sought to become accredited.

Accreditation by WASC requires many years of completion statistics, which newer schools and programs – particularly those in emerging fields – are unlikely to have. It can take up to years even to be pre-accreditted by a regional commission.

Can I transfer credits to accredited schools?

According to the DETC website, the fact that “… regionally accredited colleges refuse to accept credits from another school because it is not regionally accredited flies directly in the  face of national policies advocated by American Council on Education (ACE), the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO),  and Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), etc. The real issue here has less to do with the academic quality of the sending institution, and more to do with anti-competitive business practices of the receiving institution … Congress, the Department of Education, and the Department of Justice have been looking into this anti-competitive practice.”

Because there is no national oversight, there is no guarantee that credits or degrees obtained at any school in the United States will transfer to any other school within the United States or abroad, regardless of agency affiliation or accreditation. In fact, California regulations require that ALL schools formally state in their catalog that there is no guarantee that credits will transfer.For example, 

  • Credits obtained at a regionally recognized school offering programs in Digital Art in New York may not transfer to a regionally recognized school offering programs in Digital Art in California.
  • Even Digital Art 101 may not transfer between schools, although it is a basic course.
  • Credits from a two-year college in a local community may not transfer to any other school in the same community.
  • Universities regularly offer classes that do not apply to their degree programs.

Every school in the United States makes its’ own decisions in this regard. Some schools will accept transfer credit from anywhere with appropriate documentation. Some States impose limits on transferable credit.  California limits the number of academic transfer or experiential credits that can be applied to programs at the Masters and at the Ph.D. level.

Questions: Any questions a student may have regarding this website that have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to the Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833. International Tel: 916-431-6959, Toll- Free in the U.S. 888-370-7589. Fax: 916-263-1897.

Web: www.BPPE.CA.Gov